As you will know, here at Edenside we have three core values; learning, laughter and love. Right now, we need to be focussing on the love and then the learning. Whilst there is much talk about what children will learn with the schools shut, our focus has also been on how our children and families will manage during this very challenging, confusing and concerning time. That is why, as much as it is within our power and ability, Team Edenside is committed to doing everything we can to support every family in any way.
In terms of our approach to support the learning of our children, what follows is a plan that takes a number of factors into consideration:
- It is unrealistic to expect parents to ‘teach’ children for a full school day.
- Learning happens in a variety of ways.
- Online and digital learning, whilst ideal, cannot be relied upon and is not always available in every household.
- Any home learning plan needs to be flexible to suit different family set ups.
With this in mind, our home learning plan will have at least two phases:
- Phase 1: Consolidation learning. 23rd March – 24th April. This will provide planned activities and tasks that will require children to practise existing skills and build on existing knowledge. This is an important stage in the learning process. NO new teaching will be required. We expect this phase to last for the first 3-4 weeks.
- Phase 2: Rich learning. 27th April onwards. This will provide planned activities and tasks to explore some new learning. We will be asking a one BIG question each week and each ‘planet’ will be exploring the answers to the question in different ways. We hope the whole family will be able to explore these weekly topics together. We intend to use YouTube as a universally accessible platform to share learning content.
The prospect of home learning may be daunting so we offer a possible structure for your day (but this is absolutely not required or expected).
|Nursery||P1 to P7|
|Before 9 Wake up!|
9 – 10 Exercise time
10 – 11 Grid time
11 – 12 Creative time
12 – 1 Lunch time
Afternoon Free time
|9 – 9.45 Literacy
9.45 – 10.15 Break
10.15 – 11 Numeracy
11 – 11.30 Break
11.30 – 12 Physical exercise
12 – 1 Lunchtime
1 – 1.45 Additional task
1.45 – 2.15 Break
2.15 – 3 Additional task